Monday, October 18, 2010

a gold Inky - Stolen

It happened like this.
I was stolen from an airport.
Taken from everything I knew,
everything I was used to.
Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him. This is my story.
A letter from nowhere.

This is an incredible book, well deserving of its gold Inky.
Gemma is a great character, likeable and relatable. But it is her kidnapper, Ty, that really wowed me. He is a very complex, ambiguous and entirely mysterious character. Why did he capture Gemma? Why, if he had decided to steal her away from her family, her life, did he also decide not to harm her in any way, and make everything as comfortable for her as he could, going as far as buying her dresses in her favourite colour?

Powerful. Thought provoking. Very confronting. I was completely absorbed the whole way through, and also, by the end, feeling very conflicted and a little bit in love with Ty.
Highly, highly recommended.

Lucy Christopher, though currently living in the UK, is a local to the West - and an absolute favourite of the Younger Sun Bookshop!
Vote for Stolen here. Stolen published by Chicken House.

--clare--

No comments:

Post a Comment

and so what do YOU think?